On 13th July 2017, African Ambassadors and High Commissioners held a roundtable session with the London Stock Exchange Group (LSEG) at LSE Group Headquarters where they agreed to enhance collaboration between LSEG and African countries for mutual benefit. The session was organized by LSEG led by the CEO, Mr. Xavier Rolet and the Africa Union Group Economic and Investment Taskforce led by H.E Lazarus Amayo, the High Commissioner of Kenya to the United Kingdom and the current chair of the taskforce.
The session which was attended by African High Commissioners and Ambassadors from 24 countries aimed at learning the workings and operations of the Group. It enabled the Heads of Mission to explore areas of possible expansion of existing partnerships as well as new linkages with African Companies and Countries. Among other things members discussed:
- The outstanding history of the Group in supporting the development of capital markets in Africa and LSEG’s investment in companies operating in Africa
- Understanding how LSEG supports Africa countries to raise capital in London, existing areas of engagement and as well as ascertaining ways of deepening the existing partnerships.
- The objectives of the Africa Advisory Group. The Advisory Group comprises of African business leaders and senior representatives from pan-African economic bodies. It provides a forum for deliberating development of Africa’s capital markets and how best to address the challenges and opportunities.
- The ‘Companies to Inspire Africa’ report, a publication that identified hundreds of the fastest – growing and most dynamic private businesses across Africa in 42 countries.
- The leading role of the Group development of London as a key international hub for green finance.
The Key note address was delivered by Mr. Xavier Rolet, the Group’s CEO while H.E. Mrs. Mari- Cruz Evuna Andeme, Ambassador of the Republic of Equatorial Guinea to the United Kingdom gave remarks on behalf of the Dean of the Africa Group. The Kenya High Commissioner to the UK H.E. Lazarus Amayo and Mr. Nikhil Rathi. CEO, London Stock Exchange plc chaired the interactive roundtable discussion. Other speakers during the roundtable session included Ms. Emma Wade-Smith OBE UK Trade Commissioner to Africa, and Ms. Yukiko Omura, Deputy Chairman, GuarantCo Limited. The Ambassador of the Republic of Sudan to the UK H.E. Mohammed Abdalla Ali Eltom, gave closing remarks on behalf of African High Commissioners and Ambassadors.